One of the amazing things about Bible is the number of prophecies and accounts of incidents that have been foretold. Many of them already fulfilled and many of them yet to be fulfilled.
That’s the coolest thing about God! He declares the past, the present and the future together in His Word.
One of those biblical prophecies about Jesus are these scriptures from the prophecy of Isaiah.
Isaiah 9:6 ESV
For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Can I highlight a few truths from these scriptures for you?
1. For to Us a Child is Born, to Us a Son is Given
This is a prophecy about the literal physical incarnation of Jesus on this planet. Yes, the physical incarnation in the form of a baby boy happened in bethlehem, yet that was not the birth of Jesus, the Son of God, because Jesus existed from eternity to eternity!
He is one with Father and through Him did the creation came into existence, hence the statement which says the child was born, yet the son was only given‘, the emphasis being on Jesus being given to us.
In another verse, the bible says in John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”
2. The Government Shall Be Upon His Shoulder
We live in a world of varying and changing forms of governments. This prophecy is about the kingdom of God being restored both in the spiritual realm and the physical realm on this planet.
The kingdom of God was established on the earth, when the Holy Spirit was poured out on the 120 disciples gathered together in the upper room. Since then, there has been an increasing number of people who have lived their lives on this planet earth with their allegiance to King Jesus! Close to two billion Christians around the planet today, representing one third of the global population, confess Jesus as the Lord of their lives.
This prophecy will reach its complete fulfilment in the days to come, when Jesus will literally rule and reign as the king of this world on His return.
Of the increase of His government and of peace there will be no end,on the throne of David and over His kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. (Isaiah 9:7)
3. His Name Shall be Called
The prophecy just does not end with the birth of Jesus or the greatness of His kingdom. It goes on to describe the person of Jesus, and all that He means to us.
- Wonderful Counselor: Jesus is the wonderful counselor. Who doesn’t need counsel in this ever confused, ever chaotic world we live in? Jesus not only counselled His disciples, but everyone who came His way with a question or with a challenge, and would get a reply from Him.
- Mighty God: There are many things that are outside of our domain and dimensions, things that are impossible with human effort. But there is nothing that Jesus can’t do. He is mighty to move mountains, part oceans, calm the waves, and stop even the sun and the moon that rule the movement of those waves.
- Everlasting Father: This one aspect of Jesus amazes me always! He has the heart of a Father. He wasn’t married in the physical neither did He have children in the physical. But He is a Father! He was a great Father to His disciples, and He still is a Father to all those with a broken dream, a hopeless heart or a fatherless home!
- Prince of Peace: Oh yes, He is the prince of peace. He brings peace in the midst of the most crazy circumstances. I have seen good, bad and worse days in my life, but never have I run to Jesus and returned with a heart that lacked a surreal peace that silenced all fears and stilled all the raging waves!
The intention of writing this post was not to give you a lot of information about who Jesus is, but to invite you into a personal, living and true relationship with the one who loves you most, Jesus! When you walk with Him, you will experience His counsel, you can see His mighty work in action, enjoy His fatherly love, care and support and remain in the peace that He gives you day after day after day!
If you need someone to talk to, or pray with you, call us right now (+918088034774) or write to us ([email protected]iji.com) and we would be glad to stand with you as you encounter this Jesus in your life!
Feel free, to share your thoughts in the comments section below.