2 Chronicles 26:3-5 MSG
“Uzziah was sixteen years old when he became king and reigned for fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother was Jecoliah from Jerusalem. He behaved well in the eyes of GOD, following in the footsteps of his father Amaziah. He was a loyal seeker of God. He was well trained by his pastor and teacher Zechariah to live in reverent obedience before God, and for as long as Zechariah lived, Uzziah lived a godly life. And God prospered him.”
Mentors and spiritual parents help in one’s walk with God
- Uzziah, being only sixteen years old, became king and had to make a lot of administrative, financial, spiritual and justice related decisions. He was a great leader and very loving.
- He had his mother to emotionally nurture him, and his father to lead him and set an example before him.
- Each person should have someone to nurture him/her emotionally and someone to discipline him/her physically and mentally.
- The verse says that Uzziah was well behaved in the eyes of God and was a loyal seeker of God. He had a mentor, Zechariah who trained him to live in reverent obedience before God.
- One should have spiritual parents and mentors in his/her life.
- Spiritual parents can be the ones who act as one’s support system, work hard, lead, bring them to the Lord, etc. They may work out of compassion.
- Mentors and Pastors whip and straighten one’s life. They do not let one continue his/her wrong doings but warn and correct him/her when he/she deviates from God’s principles.
- If one doesn’t have a mentor in his/her life, he/she should pray that God provides him/her with one.
- Even if one belongs to church with many people and has a senior pastor who acts as a spiritual parent that he/she looks up to, he/she still should have someone to mentor and counsel him/her with his/her everyday aspects of life like marriage, finances, ministry, etc.
- As long as Zechariah lived, Uzziah lived a godly life and God prospered him. After Zechariah died, Uzziah lived alone, was struck with leprosy, didn’t live according to God’s purposes and stopped living a godly life.
Having a mentor helps one’s walk with God and corrects him/her when he/she deviates from God. Each person should pray and ask God for a mentor if he/she doesn’t have one.
This podcast is a repost, originally published on October 30, 2015.
Subscribe to Another Day with Jesus!
If you would like to receive this podcasts right into your phones, you could subscribe to it on a regular feed reader like feedly, or on a podcasting app like iTunes or easier still you could receive it by WhatsApp. Click on the links below to subscribe!