But when Daniel learned that the law had been signed, he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room, with its windows open toward Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God.
Series: Imitating Daniel’s Prayer
This week we are going to be studying about prayer, detailing the prayer of Daniel.
- What are the things he prayed for, and why did he pray?
- What was this law ?
The law was that they could not pray to anybody but the King, that they shall have no other God to pray to or go to except the King.
- The verse further says “he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room…”
- It says “as usual”. This was his practice every single day. This wasn’t something unusual that he made up, just because the law was passed.
- The verse goes on to say, “…with its windows open towards Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God.”
- No wonder God used him so wonderfully to explain riddles, dreams, to give counsel, to advice leaders in a governmental level.
- God wants to exalt you, God wants to use you, to bring you to a place of authority and influence, but God will not use a man or a woman who is relying on their own strength.
- Daniel’s continuous prayer and dependence on God showed how much he was dependent on God’s direction in his life.
– This is the kind of man or woman God would want to use in this season.
- Daniel 9:3 says– “I turned to the Lord and pleaded with Him in prayer and fasting. I also wore rough burlap and sprinkled myself with ashes.”
- This shows that Daniel was not just praying for comfort or for an answer to his own personal prayer, but he was praying for the land that he was representing- for his country, for his people, for Jerusalem.
- He was in fasting and praying, and wore a rough burlap and sprinkled himself with ashes.
Let’s all work towards learning from Daniel for our prayer lives. Let us take this week to study from the book of Daniel, the times, seasons, and ways in which he depended on God; how he asked for counsel, the way he prayed, how he received from God His timely word and counsel for his prayers- all because of the fact that he was willing to depend on God like that.
Subscribe to Another Day with Jesus!
If you would like to receive this podcasts right into your phones, you could subscribe to it on a regular feed reader like feedly, or on a podcasting app like iTunes or easier still you could receive it by WhatsApp. Click on the links below to subscribe!