A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence.
Series: Danger of Gossip
This week we have been studying the topic of the dangers of gossip.
The scripture speaks about two kinds of people – one who is trustworthy and the one who is a gossiper.
In the previous podcasts, we saw that God doesn’t like gossipers in His community. He does not want gossipers to worship Him or to have a relationship with Him.
In this verse, the Bible explains how to differentiate between a gossiper and a trustworthy person.
– A gossiper is a person who goes around telling everybody other’s secrets.
– When people share their secrets with us, we generally tend to share it with others.
– If people need to trust you with their secrets, then you have to learn to keep it to yourself because it is a godly principle.
– If there is something that you can help in that particular thing that people have shared with you, then ask God to help you to help them, but never tell it to anyone else.
– The person will go through much pain because you just decided to expose that person.
Noah is the best example of this. When he was lying naked, one of his sons went and told others about it. But the other son didn’t even want to talk about it. He instead took a piece of cloth and without even looking at him, covered his nakedness.
– That is the kind of believer that God is looking for.
– Everybody has problems and challenges but love covers and bears a multitude of sins.
– Is it true that God has filled you with His Holy Spirit?
– Is it true that the Holy Spirit has poured out His love upon you?
If yes, then you have to be somebody who will not go around telling people the secrets that you have been entrusted with. You have to guard those secrets with your entire life.
The Bible says that a trustworthy person can be confided in.
Even if your friend turns out to be your enemy, you should still keep their confidence. Because you are not doing this just to honour the person but to honour the word of God.
It is better that the word of God calls you trustworthy than calling you a person who gossips, because what God calls you matters the most.
So when God gives you opportunities to minister to people, open your life for people to converse with you; and when people share their secrets with you, make sure to prove to be a trustworthy person that God and people can depend upon.
Subscribe to Another Day with Jesus!
If you would like to receive this podcasts right into your phones, you could subscribe to it on a regular feed reader like feedly, or on a podcasting app like iTunes or easier still you could receive it by WhatsApp. Click on the links below to subscribe!